Friday, August 22, 2014

KL is for foodies


Twin Towers, Kuala Lumpur (the view from our hotel room)
I decided to go to KL with the fambam (parents and godparents) before my school starts (this Monday, yikes!) so that I could catch up on local food that I missed while I was away. Stayed at the Renaissance Hotel by Marriot, my birthday gift from my Godma. Got upgraded to the superior room with a view of the twin towers because our initial room (which was pretty nice too, with a view of the hotel's massive pool) gave us SO many problems, we had to call the operator 4 times and eventually ordered room service because it was too late to go out when they had finally fixed the problems. I found it hard to wake up every morning because the room was so dark and cozy and the bed was too comfortable. There were 6 pillows, so I woke up drowning in a sea of them every morning. The hotel's restaurant also served THE BEST buffet breakfast. I wanted to eat everything – eggs ben, omelette with chilli padi, waffles, prata, bread pudding, porridge, cereal... They had just about everything, down to freshly brewed soya milk and pure honey dripping off a piece of bee hive. This is my second post on KL, but I promise that there are way more food recommendations here as compared to my previous post. Some places are repeated, and some are new. So feel free to drop me an email should you need tips about travelling in KL (or any other places I've been to, for that matter :)).



The view in the morning VS





The view at night


Doing what my mom does best while waiting... taking photos





Petaling Street, the home of amazing roadside food. Only for those who are not squeamish about old, dirty (but delicious) food stalls. By the way, I'm featuring only the food stalls worth mentioning (the ones that my family and/or I liked), including the ones I found out about over the internet. 



1. Koon Kee Wan Tan Mee





The taste was similar to that of hor fun but with thinner noodles. The chicken and char siew were tender and the soup was tasty. Great with green chilli!

2. Ming Chiang Kueh (peanut pancake)






This uncle's bicycle (yes, not even a motorcycle) was stationed right outside Koon Kee Wan Tan Mee. Made on the spot, so it's super fresh. The surface had a nice, crusty finish. The only downside was that the insides of the pancake tasted a wee bit undercooked.

3. Kim Soya Bean




I'm a huge fan of soya bean, and this really hit the spot. The soya bean milk was fresh, sweet and just the right temperature. The beancurd didn't leave an impression though :/

4. Muah Chee





The friendly aunty was so kind as to smile for the camera. I forgot the name of her stall but it's near Kim Soya Bean. You can hear her promoting her muah chee stall through a recording amplified by speakers haha so cute. Besides the original flavour, other options include black sesame, pandan, lychee, mango and even ribena!? The muah chee was moist and soft, and doesn't make you feel as if you're chewing gum, like some of the other muah chees I've tried in Singapore. 
(Pssst: I used to dream of selling muah chee when I was a kid.) 


I was a happy camper :3

5. Inside Scoop






The scoopers (we were trying to guess if they were the owners too) were uber friendly and patient with us. We tried practically every other flavour that was on sale that day, and my favourite had to be the teh tarik. My usual go-to flavours are hazelnut (extreme right) and pistachio, but I found the pistachio to be a little too sweet for my liking. The hazelnut was good at the start, but became lumpy/sedimentary as it melted. I wouldn't recommend it. The chocolate flavour was a hit between KC and my mom, but I found it too rich (personally not a fan of chocolate ice cream). The scoops were massive, so they were worth every ringgit!



6. Kin Kin Pan Mee








So good, we actually went back for lunch the next day. The key ingredient would definitely be the chilli (1.5 tsp is good enough for me). It blends extremely well with the slightly salty minced meat (so stir well!), ikan bilis and poached egg. The noodles are chewy and springy, and freshly made on site. I'm not a fan of meat, let alone processed meat balls, but I am in love with their pork balls (served in soup). The meatball soup itself isn't fantastic, but the spinach soup served free with the noodles is theee best. Sadly, the standard of Singapore's Kin Kin is nowhere near KL's.


Random dough fritter stall along the street. Looked amazing!



Jalan Alor, aka tourist trap. Prices weren't too steep, but portions were small and the seafood were not fresh. 

7. "Foch Avenue" Fried Hokkien Mee





I don't actually know the name of this stall, but my dad calls it Foch Avenue Hokkien Mee, and says that it's been there for over 30 years. This is definitely not a place for the squeamish (RATS). We searched high and low for this place, only to find that it was near the famous Shin Kee Beef Noodles. The man who served us spoke excellent English. He joked with us and gave us a generous amount of garlic, lard and chilli. I'm not a fan of Malaysian Hokkien Mee, but if you are, I think that this place is worth a visit. 

7. Ah Fook Chee Cheong Fun



Ah Fook Chee Cheong Fun at Imbi Market serves the best Chee Cheong Fun I've ever had. It's my second time eating it, and it's still as good. Smooth, silky rice rolls with topped with sweet sauce. Not your usual CCF sweet sauce, may I add. 

8. SisterS Crispy Popiah



A winner amongst most at the breakfast table that morning because of the crispy bits inside the popiah. I didn't find it all that good to be honest, as it was lacking a certain "kick". 

9. Kajang Satay







On our last night, my godparents' friends took us all the way to Kajang (30min drive from KL) for satay. Kajang satay is known to be famous, so we had to give it a try. I found the sauce to be a little bland and diluted, but the chilli oil managed to inject some life into it. I ate a (personal) record breaking 11 sticks of satay, out of the 130 sticks we ordered!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Collette! Do you know Jp's XXL fried chicken (I think) has a photo
    Of your bf on their wall! Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha omg no way! We were just there that day but resisted the temptation to walk in to buy one. We're gonna go to JP again just to see it lolol.

      Delete